Skip to Navigation | Skip to Main Content | Skip to Site Map
Account: Sign Up | Login
(a) INDEPENDENT CITIES ESTABLISHED.
(1) The cities of Jacksonville, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Saint Petersburg, and Tallahassee, as now existing, are each recognized both as a city and as a county unless otherwise changed in accordance with the provisions of this constitution. As a city, they shall each continue for city purposes with their present charters, subject to changes and amendments provided by the constitution or by law, and with the powers, organization, rights and privileges permitted by this constitution or by law. As a county, they shall not be required to adopt a county charter but may, except for the offices of sheriff and clerk of the circuit court, amend or revise their present charters to provide for the number, kinds, manner of selection, terms of office and salaries of their county officers, and for the exercise of all powers and duties of counties and county officers prescribed by the constitution and laws of the state.
(2) The charters of each of the aforesaid cities now existing, or as hereafter amended or revised, may be amended or revised for city or county purposes from time to time by proposals therefor submitted by the lawmaking body of the respective city to the qualified voters thereof, at a general or special election held at least sixty days after the publication of such proposals, and accepted by majority of the qualified electors voting for or against each of said amendments or revisions so submitted.
(3) Notwithstanding any other provisions in this constitution, no person shall hold any elective office within any of the aforesaid cities for more than 8 years in any period of 12 years.
Effective January 1, 2021:
(1)(A) The county of Duval shall be abolished, and the city of Jacksonville shall assume all the powers, duties, responsibilities, and authority of the former county.
(B) The cities of Atlantic Beach, Jacksonville Beach, and Neptune Beach, and the town of Baldwin, shall be abolished and annexed to the city of Jacksonville.
(2) The county of Miami-Dade, excluding the city of Miami, shall be renamed "Biscayne County". Any constitutional or statutory references to Miami-Dade County shall refer to Biscayne County.
(3) The county of Leon shall be abolished, and the city of Tallahassee shall assume all the powers, duties, responsibilities, and authority of the former county.
(4) The unincorporated communities of Carrollwood, Cheval, Citrus Park, Egypt Lake, Egypt Lake-Leto, Keystone, Lake Magdalene, Lutz, Northdale, Town 'n' Country, University, and Westchase, within Hillsborough County, shall all be dissolved and annexed to the city of Tampa.