Skip to Navigation | Skip to Main Content | Skip to Site Map
The CRC completed its work and submitted its final report. This website is maintained for archival purposes.
The design of the great seal and flag of the state shall be prescribed by law.
(a) STATE SEAL.
(1) There shall be a Great Seal of the State of Florida, which shall be kept by the custodian of state records or such other designated officer provided by law.
(2) The Seal shall be designed as provided in this section.
(b) STATE FLAGS.
(1) The flag of the State of Florida, as currently established by law, shall be replaced with a newly-redesigned flag no later than March 3, 2021.
(2) There shall be an official flag to be used by the Governor of the State of Florida, which shall be designed and adopted as provided in this section.
(c) STATEWIDE COMPETITION.
(1) No later than March 1, 2019, the State shall open a statewide competition to design and adopt a new Great Seal, a new state flag, and a flag for the Governor.
(2) Any resident of the State of Florida may freely submit, via postal mail or electronically, his/her proposals for a new Great Seal, a new state flag, and/or a flag for the Governor.
(3)(A) The competition shall close on March 1, 2020; and all submissions for a new Great Seal, a new state flag, and a flag for the Governor shall be submitted to a screening board herein established. The screening board shall consist of seventeen members as follows:
(i) nine members shall be appointed by the Governor;
(ii) four members shall be appointed by the Attorney-General;
(iii) two members shall be appointed by the Senate; and
(iv) two members shall be appointed by the House of Representatives.
(B) No member of the screening board shall be a public officer or hold any office of honor, trust, or profit under the State, the counties, or municipalities.
(4)(i) All sessions and proceedings of the screening board shall be open to the public and shall be held throughout the state. The screening board shall examine the submissions for a new Great Seal, a new state flag, and a flag for the Governor, and through a vetting process, shall select four finalists for a new Great Seal, four finalists for a new state flag, and four finalists for a flag for the Governor. The finalist designs shall be placed on the ballot of the 2020 general election.
(ii) Each of the finalist designs that receives a majority vote of the electors shall be adopted and shall become effective March 3, 2021.
(5) The Legislature shall provide the necessary funding and staff for this subsection (c).
(6) This section shall be automatically repealed March 3, 2021.