Skip to Navigation | Skip to Main Content | Skip to Site Map
The CRC completed its work and submitted its final report. This website is maintained for archival purposes.
(a) The seat of government shall be the City of Tallahassee, in Leon County, where the offices of the governor, lieutenant governor, and cabinet members and the supreme court shall be maintained and the sessions of the legislature shall be held; provided that, in time of invasion or grave emergency, the governor by proclamation may for the period of the emergency transfer the seat of government to another place.
(b) The Supreme Court shall meet annually in the City of Tallahassee, in Leon County; the City of Clearwater, in Pinellas County; and the City of Miami, in Miami-Dade County.
State Sseal and Fflag.
The design of the great seal and flag of the state shall be prescribed by law.
(a) GREAT SEAL. There shall be a Great Seal of the State of Florida, which shall be kept by the Secretary of State, and shall be designed as provided by law.
(b) STATE FLAG. A new flag for the State of Florida shall be designed and adopted by the vote of the electors of the State no later than march 3, 2020.
(1) No national or battle flag of the Confederate States of America shall be flown from any building, structure, park, courthouse, jailhouse, or facility that is owned and operated by the State, the counties, and/or the municipalities.
(2) This subsection does not impair the First Amendment Rights of the People to personally display such flags from their own property or their person; provided such display does not disturb or breech the peace.
Official languages.English is the official language of Florida.
(a) We, the People of the State of Florida, taking pride in our State's unique natural and cultural heritage, do hereby designate the following symbols and emblems for our great and wonderful State.
1) STATE FLOWERS. The official flowers are the blossom of the orange tree (Citrus sinensis and hybrids thereof) and the ghost-orchid (Dendrophylax lindenii).
(2) STATE WILDFLOWER. The official wildflower is the Coreopsis.
(3) STATE AQUATIC PLANT. The official aquatic plant is duckweed (Lemna valdiviana or Spirodela polyhiza).
(4) STATE GRASS. The official grass is sawgrass (Cladium jamaicensis).
(5) STATE SOIL. The official soil is Myakka fine sand (sandy, siliceous, hyperthermic Aeric Haplaquods).
(6) STATE STONE. The official stone is agatized coral, a chalcedony pseudomorphy after coral, appearing as limestone geodes lined with botryoidal agate or quartz crystals and drusy quartz fingers.
(7) STATE GEM. The official gem is the moonstone, a transparent or translucent feldspar of peraly or opaline luster.
(8) STATE MINERAL. The official mineral is calcite.
(9) STATE FOSSIL. The official fossil is the Metaxytherium floridanum.
(10) STATE SHELL. The official shell is the horse conch (Pleuroploca gigantea).
(11) STATE TREE. The official tree is the sabal palmetto.
(12) STATE FRUIT. The official fruit is the orange (Citrus sinesis and hybrids thereof).
(13) STATE VEGETABLE. The official vegetable is the green bean (Phaseolus vulgaris).
(14) STATE COLORS. The official colors are orange, green, white, and red.
(15) STATE ANIMAL. The official animal is the dolphin or porpoise.
(16) STATE BIRD. The official bird is the roseate spoonbill (Platalea ajaja).
(17) STATE WATERFOWL. The official waterfowl is the Florida mottled duck (Anas fulvigula).
(18) STATE GAME BIRD: The official game bird is the wild turkey (Meleagris gallopave).
(19) STATE RAPTOR. The official raptor is the Florida snail kite (Rostrhamus sociabilis).
(20) STATE LAND MAMMAL. The official land mammal is the Florida panther.
(21) STATE FLYING MAMMAL. The official flying mammal is the Seminole bat (Lasiurus seminolus).
(22) STATE MARINE MAMMAL. The official marine mammal is the FLorida manatee.
(23) STATE FRESHWATER FISH. The official freshwater fish is the Suwannee bass (Microterpus notius).
(24) STATE SALTWATER FISH. The official saltwater fish is the Atlantic sailfish (Istiophorus platypterus).
(25) STATE CRUSTACEAN. The official crustacean is the Florida stone crab (Menippe mercenaria).
(26) STATE BUTTERFLY. The official butterfly is the zebra longwing (Heliconius charithonia).
(27) STATE INSECT. The official insect is the eastern pondhawk dragonfly (Erythemis simplicicollis).
(28) STATE REPTILES. The official reptiles are the American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) and the American crocodile (Crocodylus acutus).
(29) STATE LAND REPTILE. The official land reptile is the gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus).
(30) STATE MARINE REPTILE. The official marine reptile is the loggerhead sea turtle (Caretta caretta).
(31) STATE AMPHIBIAN. The official amphibian is the reticulated flatwoods salamander (Ambystoma bishopi).
(32) STATE HORSE. The official horse is the Florida cracker horse (Marshtackie).
(33) STATE CATTLE. The official cattle is the Florida cracker cattle.
(34) STATE BEVERAGE. The official beverage is the juice obtained from mature oranges of the species Citrus sinensis or hybrids thereof.
(35) STATE MORNING BEVERAGE. The official morning beverage is Cuban coffee.
(36) STATE SANDWICH. The official sandwich is the Cuban sandwich.
(37) STATE DESSERT. The official dessert is key lime pie.
(38) STATE HONEY. The official honey is Tupelo honey.
(39) STATE APPETIZER. The official appetizer is conch fritters.
(40) STATE GAME. The official game is dominoes.
(41) STATE TEAM SPORT. The official team sport is baseball.
(42) STATE INDIVIDUAL SPORT. The official individual sport is snorkeling.
(43) STATE DOG. The official dog is the Florida cracker cur.
(44) STATE MUSICAL INSTRUMENT. The official musical instrument is the banjo.
(45) STATE BERRY. The official berry is the strawberry.
(46) STATE BOAT. The official boat is the Seminole tribal dugout canoe.
(47) STATE CORAL. The official coral is staghorn coral (Acropora cervicornis).
(48) STATE SPACECRAFT. The official spacecraft are the space shuttle orbiters of the NASA Space Shuttle Program, namely: the Enterprise, the Columbia, the Challenger, the Discovery, the Atlantis, and the Endeavour.
(49) STATE SYMBOL OF SPACE EXPLORATION. The official symbol of space exploration is the Apollo 11 spaceflight that launched from Merritt Island on July 16, 1969 and successfully landed the first two humans on the Moon on July 20, 1969.
(50) STATE SHIP. The official ship is the USS Florida (SSGN-728) submarine.
(b) Additional symbols for the State of Florida may be designated by the Governor or the Legislature.