Skip to Navigation | Skip to Main Content | Skip to Site Map
The CRC completed its work and submitted its final report. This website is maintained for archival purposes.
To preserve Florida's natural and scenic beauty:
(a) No person, business, corporation, or gambling facility shall erect or maintain any outdoor advertising device or billboard outside of the right-of-way boundary and visible from the main-traveled way of any federal-aid or state highway within the State, except the following:
(1) Directional and other official signs and notices, which signs and notices shall include, but not be limited to, signs and notices pertaining to natural wonders, scenic and historic attractions as authorized or required by law.
(2) Signs, displays, and devices advertising the sale or lease of the property upon which they are located.
(3) Signs, displays, and devices advertising activities conducted on the property upon which they are located.
(4) Signs lawfully in existence, determined by the State Department of Transportation to be landmark signs, including signs on farm structures or natural surfaces, of historic or artistic significance the preservation of which would be consistent with the purpose of this section.
(b) All existing outdoor advertising devices and billboards in violation of this section shall be dismantled, demolished, and/or removed no later than January 1, 2023.
(c) For the purposes of this section:
(1) "Outdoor advertising device" means any device which is:
(A) A writing, picture, painting, light, model, display, electronic or digital display, emblem, sign, or similar device situated outdoors, which is so designed that it draws the attention of persons in any public highway, park, or other public place to any property, services, entertainment, or amusement, bought, sold, rented, hired, offered, or otherwise traded in by any person, or to the place or person where or by whom such buying, selling, renting, hiring, offering, or other trading is carried on;
(B) A sign, poster, notice, bill, or word or words in writing situated outdoors and so designed that it draws the attention of and is read by persons in any public highway, park, or other public place; or
(C) A sign, writing, symbol, or emblem made of lights, or a device or design made of lights so designed that its primary function is not giving light, which is situated outdoors and draws the attention of persons in any public highway, park or other public place.
(2) "Billboard" is any board, fence, or similar structure, whether free-standing or supported by or placed against any wall or structure, which is designed or used for the principal purpose of having outdoor advertising devices placed, posted, or fastened upon it.